I was somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when this blog post finally started to take hold. The First Recommerce Retail Hack Day happened 1 month ago, on Sept 17th, 2011 and I feel that it set a lot of World Firsts for Hackathons.
We <3 APIs and we especially love companies that have easy to use APIs and host developer challenges to reward new and creative uses of their API. While we hope we fall into the first category, we now officially fall into the second category as a contest loving, API hosting company! Announcing the first (of many) Zappos API Developer Challenge-palooza-athon.
We launced the Zappos API a year ago and in that time, the API team has been working hard to make sure all your API calls are answered in a timely manner. At first, it was just a call here and there but now there are many awesome Apps calling us day and night including Ipad, Iphone, Android and mashups. We've been having a lot of fun using our API internally for our Hackathons as well. But now, we want you to have fun too, with our first Developer Contest!
The full contest rules can be found here: http://developer.zappos.com/docs/zappos-public-api-developer-contest-rul....
We're looking to spotlight and reward a few fun applications built with the Zappos API. Your entry doesn't need to be a fully featured-multi-page website (but that's ok too). Feel free to just submit a simple widget, module or even single page web app that makes creative use of our API.
- Best Overall Application: $1000 value ($500.00 Zappos.com electronic gift certificate and $500.00 cash)
- Most Fun and Weird Application: $500 value ($250.00 Zappos.com electronic gift certificate and $250.00 cash)
- Best Mash-up Application (integrating other APIs or apps): $500 value ($250.00 Zappos.com electronic gift certificate and $250.00 cash)
While not mandatory, extra consideration will be given to applications that provide a fun and new way to navigate our enormous (that's what she said) product catalog. Don't be afraid to build an app that focuses on just one of our many product categories. Did you even know we sold housewares, watches and sunglasses? We also have an amazing Statistics API that gives you the ability to pull some very interesting data from our sales history. Head on over to API documentation to get more information: http://developer.zappos.com/docs/api-documentation
When you are finished, throw a Facebook Like button on it so we can show you some love in return.
Check out the full contest rules on how to enter. The contest runs from March 10th until March 31st. Get cracking and have fun. Let us know (email@example.com) if you have any questions.
Thanks - Zappos API Team
Okay, so this is awkward. We get it. You heard about the Zappos API and are excited to play with it. Then you signed up for a Zappos Developer Account and set up a key. You put that key into a config file and got ready to do some coding. Then you hit a brick wall. We get it. We want to help. Let us give you a quick whirlwind tour of our API in the form of a challenge. Finish the challenge and tweet us a URL and we'll retweet it in your honor.
- First things first, you'll need a key to use the Zappos API. If you don't have one, head on over to http://developer.zappos.com to activate your account and set up a new Application and grab your key.
- Did you know that Zappos is the 6th best company to work for according to people that measure best companies to work for? That's thanks in part to our 10 Core Values. Take a look at our Core Value API http://developer.zappos.com/docs/api-corevalue and figure out which of our Core Value's best fits you. #eastereggalert #spinaltapfans
- Zappos has a large selection of shoes and clothes. Take a look at our Brand API and see what Brand best matches your favorite Core Value http://developer.zappos.com/docs/api-brand.
- Use our Search API to find some products from that Brand http://developer.zappos.com/docs/api-search-api
- Our Statistics API lets you find the most popular and recently purchased items in your geo-region-zone-check-in-i-have-100000-facebook-friends thingy. Check it out and see if your Core Value/Brand is hot in your area (http://developer.zappos.com/docs/api-statistics)
- Now that you've learned how to make these calls, why don't you put all this hard work into a web app and let other people find their favorite Core Values and Brands. Include some Make It Awesome(tm) for good measure.
- Email us (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Tweet us (@zappos_api) a URL to check out your web app and we'll make you famous (note: we might not actually be able to make you famous, but we will give you a tweet shout out).
Here are a few other web apps that run on the Zappos API, in case he ideas still aren't flowing.
* A Map! http://www.zappos.com/map
* An iphone app! http://blogs.zappos.com/iPhone
* A plugin! http://marketplace.seesmic.com/plugins/zappos-plugin
We hope this helps get you started along the path of API Awesomesauce. The Zappos API team is here to help with any questions you may have so feel free to email or tweet us with any questions, concerns or advice.